Are you a lawyer with planning and environmental law experience?
7 January 2017
The Environmental Defenders Office (EDO) Qld is seeking qualified lawyers with experience in planning or environmental law to volunteer on our evening advice service.
We provide full conflict of interest checks to protect both our clients and our volunteer lawyers.
The commitment requested is one evening (5.30pm – 7.30pm) a month at our West End office. You will be supported by a friendly staff solicitor, and work in a warm and convivial atmosphere with enthusiastic fellow volunteers. EDO Qld also supplies a selection of tasty refreshments.
Volunteers may provide advice about:
- Stopping pollution, inappropriate development, and destructive clearing
- Ensuring responsible development and moving towards sustainable jobs and clean, renewable energy
- Accessing information and understanding the litigation processes
- Writing submissions
- Enforcing development conditions
- Understanding legislation such as the Nature Conservation Act 1992 (Qld), the Sustainable Planning Act 2009 (Qld), the Environmental Protection Act 1994 (Qld), or the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (Cth).
The rewards are many!
- Helping out our clients: wonderful hard-working people from all over Queensland seeking to protect the environment in the public interest, who cannot afford to consult a private solicitor. Our clients come from urban and rural areas, and include conservationists, concerned locals, scientists, farmers and community groups. They want to protect native wildlife and plants, sensitive ecosystems, areas of significant biodiversity or natural beauty, places and buildings of cultural significance or heritage value, valuable agricultural land and fisheries resources, and the health and livelihood of communities and residents.
- Professional development: the opportunity to sharpen your skills by tackling a diverse selection of intriguing legal problems in planning and environmental law – and a great addition to your CV.
- The satisfaction of providing targeted legal assistance which addresses unmet legal needs and effects systemic change.
Interested? Please don’t hesitate to send your CV and a covering email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact us by email or on 07 3211 4466 for more information.
Not you? Please consider sending a link to this page to any lawyers with planning and environmental law experience you know, including colleagues and staff. Volunteering on EDO Qld’s advice service develops skilled, well-rounded lawyers, who are stars in their day jobs!
EDO Qld is a leading independent community legal centre which helps people use the law to protect the environment. We provide free legal advice and assistance, produce easy-to-read publications, hold community seminars and workshops, and undertake important law reform activities to strengthen and improve Queensland’s planning and environmental laws.
EDO Qld receives a limited amount of government funding, and none of this would be possible without the help of our fantastic volunteers.