Qld Planning Laws community seminars: reforms in review and what’s to come
23 August 2016
Join EDO Qld and the Queensland Government as we explore the operation of Queensland’s planning laws, current planning reforms and important upcoming consultation opportunities, at localised events at the Gold Coast, Brisbane, Toowoomba and Sunshine Coast, throughout August 2016.
EDO Qld, in collaboration with Queensland’s Department of Planning, is hosting a series of free community seminars across South East Queensland in August about new planning legislation.
You might recall that Parliament passed the Planning Bills back in May 2016? At the time, EDO Qld pointed out that while the amended Planning Bills showed some improvements to public participation, transparency and accountability, overall they did not strengthen environmental protection. Read more…
With the reforms set to come into play in late 2017, and at a time we’re seeing major damage caused by the loss of habitats for koalas and other native flora and fauna, this is your chance to find out what the reforms mean to you and your environment.
At these community LawJams, you can expect a conversation between:
- The Department of Planning who will outline the new planning legislation and supporting instruments;
- EDO Qld who will talk about what the reforms mean for community and environment; and
- You! Ask the experts about the planning framework and raise any issues you have relating to the reforms in your local community.
If you have an issue you would like to see addressed at this seminar, you can nominate it ahead of time in the comments section of your RSVP.
The LawJams will be held at:
- Gold Coast: 6-7.30pm Monday 15 August at Robina Community Centre
To watch these videos, you will need to register once if you have never done so before, but only once. If you have questions prompted by the videos, click on the speech bubble at the bottom of the screen to send your questions to the Department
- Toowoomba: 6-7.30pm Monday 22 August at Toowoomba Library
- Brisbane: 6-7.30pm Tuesday 23 August at Cliftons Brisbane
- Sunshine Coast: 6-7.30pm Tuesday 30 August at Mike Ahern Government Service Centre
- Vegetation management codes reignites fiery debate in Queensland (ABC, 28/07/16)
- Planning Bills passed, don’t strengthen environment protection for koalas and other critters (12/05/2016)
- New planning framework: much more work to be done, for community rights and for the environment (20/09/2015)
- Queensland, planning for changes to planning (19/06/2015)