.Support the Ban on Plastic Bags and Container Refund Scheme, submissions due by Monday 3 July
28 June 2017
This Bill seeks to implement the following progressive initiatives by the Queensland Government:
- the ban on lightweight plastic shopping bag;
- a container refund scheme; and
- improvements to the management of end of waste resources through amendments to End of Waste Codes.
We recommend you send a short submission in to the parliamentary committee to demonstrate your support for this important Bill.
This Bill is a significant step towards improving regulation of waste and environmental protection in Queensland, by helping to address the increasing issues we face from plastic bags, containers and other waste items.
You might also like to add recommendations to improve the strength of the proposed frameworks, such as to include a staged ban on heavy-weight plastic bags. Heavy-weight plastic bags take significant resources to produce and form a part of our plastic problem; introducing a staged ban now will allow industry and the community to adapt to the ban with certainty and to be sensitive to the use and impacts of all plastic bags.
Submissions should be sent to:
Post: Committee Secretary
Agriculture and Environment Committee
Brisbane Qld 4000
To ensure your submission is considered by the Committee, make sure you include:
- The author’s name and signature
- If the submission is made on behalf of an organisation, the level of approval (e.g. a local branch, executive committee or national organisation)
- Mailing address (and email if available), and daytime telephone number.