By including EDO Qld in your will, your legacy will be:
- investing in Queensland’s largest specialist environmental legal centre;
- supporting the provision of public interest legal services to community groups and individuals; and
- helping to protect the natural environment for future generations.
The importance of your will
Your will is a document that states how you wish for your assets to be distributed upon death. Without a will your estate will be distributed in accordance with the rules contained in legislation, which may not be what you wish. By making (and updating) your will, you ensure that your estate is distributed in the way you want.
It is important to have your will prepared by a professional to avoid unintended outcomes and best ensure your wishes are upheld.
What can I give?
You can bequeath:
- cash, either a specific sum or a percentage or the residue of your estate; or
- other gifts such as jewellery, works of art, shares and other goods.
You may wish to discuss with us the type of gift you intend to leave EDO QLD, so that we can ensure that we are able to apply your gift to our work. We recommend, where appropriate, that you discuss your desire to make a gift to EDO QLD with your family or loved ones, so that your intentions are clear to all concerned.
There are different options for gifting available as well. For example, your will can provide a gift to EDO QLD directly or via a charitable trust. You should speak to a professional regarding the appropriate gifting option for your circumstances.
Wording your intention
Including EDO QLD in your will is simple. The following standard wording can be included in your will:
Gift from residuary estate:
- "I give ____% of my residuary estate to the ENVIRONMENTAL DEFENDERS OFFICE (QLD) INC ABN 14 911 812 589 for its general purposes free of all duties and taxes payable upon or in consequence of my death and I declare that the receipt of its Chief Executive, Treasurer, or other authorised officer shall be sufficient discharge of my executors."
- "I give the sum of $___________ to the ENVIRONMENTAL DEFENDERS OFFICE (QLD) INC ABN 14 911 812 589 for its general purposes free of all duties and taxes payable upon or in consequence of my death and I declare that the receipt of its Chief Executive, Treasurer, or other authorised officer shall be sufficient discharge of my executors."
Contact us for more information about making a bequest.