Queensland, it’s time for better environmental laws.
We call on ALL political parties to back 7 key reforms
- Citizen Rights - Strengthen community rights to information, objection, appeal and enforcement, especially for coal seam gas, mining and planning. Preserve “own costs” rules in the Planning and Environment Court.
- Fair Democratic Processes - Ban developer and corporate political donations. Strengthen and restore powers to the State Environment Department.
- Great Barrier Reef and Nature - Strengthen laws against unsustainable development, water pollution and carbon pollution. Protect pristine rivers, national parks, and wildlife. Expand “no go” areas for mining and gas.
- Safe Climate and Clean Energy - Transition Qld's economy away from fossil fuel extraction or burning, towards renewable energy and sustainable jobs.
- Excessive Tree Clearing - Protect our trees, wildlife and Reef by introducing strong legal protections against excessive tree clearing. Reform ineffective “offset” laws.
- Clean Up Queensland - Audit legal compliance of coal and gas projects. Protect groundwater and clean air. Introduce waste disposal levy. Ban environmental offenders from holding environmental licences.
- Access to Justice - Ensure EDO Qld can continue to provide communities with the legal assistance they need to protect their environment by increased government funding to EDO Qld.
Authorised by Jo Bragg, CEO of Environmental Defenders Office Queensland, 8/205 Montague Rd, West End, QLD 4101