EDO Qld welcomes the new Queensland Government under the leadership of returning Premier Annastasia Palaszczuk, and reminds them urgent action is needed to protect Queensland’s environment.
Prior to the election we sent our 7 key reforms to Qld environmental laws policy suggestions to all parties. Their responses, some of which were presented at an EDO Qld policy event, are available online.
We will be seeking to hold the new government to their commitments made in response to these policy suggestions (see Labor's response) and to advocate for the matters that need addressing urgently.
Some of the key issues needing urgent action by this government are:
- Reinstating and improving our vegetation management and planning laws to address the excessive tree clearing in Queensland, which puts our ecosystems, wildlife, Reef and climate at risk.
- Passing EDO Qld’s draft Climate Change and Renewable Energy Bill, which will lock in the Queensland Government’s commitment to transitioning away from fossil fuels to renewable energy in a fast and fair way, to reduce the risks of dangerous climate change.
- Implementing stronger regulation of water quality impacts from agricultural and industrial developments, particularly in Reef catchments, to help improve the resilience of our Great Barrier Reef.
- Undertaking an audit of the public register system under our environment laws to make these registers effective in allowing easy, timely access to information that helps the community to protect our environment.
- An overhaul of political donation laws in Queensland to avoid corporations buying decision makers for decisions in their favour. You can see the commitments of the various parties on donations and corruption here.
We look forward to working with the new Queensland Government, and all Queenslander’s, to help protect our beautiful state’s environment in this new term of government.