In the next year we will face an uphill battle helping communities fight against projects like the Mount Coot-tha zipline and Toondah Harbour, as well as big multinational mining companies and developers with deep pockets.
We have the passion, we have the legal expertise, but we don’t have the resources of the big mining companies and developers.
That’s why we need your help this month. So we’re ready to hit the ground running in the new year.
Will you support our work with a tax-deductible donation?
EDO Qld is a small, highly-skilled, dedicated, and passionate team of legal experts that brings the fight directly to big miners and developers.
Our team of expert litigators is at the forefront of the legal battle against destructive coal mines like Adani’s Carmichael project and the Acland Stage Three expansion.
We provide critical legal advice to grassroots conservation groups operating on a shoestring. Your donation makes that possible.
We spearhead policy reforms to save natural icons like the Great Barrier Reef and our koala populations from the effects of over-development and catastrophic climate change.
Just this year, EDO Qld has:
- Exposed Adani’s breach of their Abbot Point temporary emissions licence which saw contaminated, coal-laden water discharged into the marine environment near the Great Barrier Reef.
- Delivered evidence Adani has carried out illegal work on its Carmichael mine in breach of its state and federal approvals. The research forced Adani to admit to filing false reports with the State Government and prompted state and federal investigations.
- Fought the expansion of the New Acland coal mine on behalf of the local community, appearing in the Queensland Land Court alongside more than 60 farmers and residents opposed to the mine.
- Championed stronger laws and tougher enforcement to protect the Great Barrier Reef from climate change, deforestation, overdevelopment, and agricultural run-off, and given compelling evidence to State Parliament in support of banning all political donations from for-profit corporations.
- Given legal advice on everything from stopping Toondah harbour and the Mount Coot-tha zipline, to saving our koalas from habitat destruction up and down the Queensland coast.
We are a small organisation, and we punch well above our weight. But we need to step it up a notch.
Next year, the challenges will be even greater — our legal team needs to have all hands on deck operating at full capacity to meet them head-on.
As a not-for-profit community legal service, 80% of our funds come from individuals and organisations. We receive modest State Government funding, and our Federal funding has been stripped away.
No matter who you are and how you protect the environment, EDO Qld is by your side — in court, out in the community holding legal events and workshops, and on the phones with advice for landholders, individuals and community groups.
We are the legal muscle for the environment, and we do things no other organisation can.
- We have a strong team of experienced environmental litigators and law reform experts who are at the top of their game.
- Our solicitors provide top-shelf legal representation to community environment groups, appearing in court to defend our natural heritage.
- We draft and champion crucial law reforms to ensure our environment is protected and our communities stay safe and healthy.
- We are a strategic resource hub for the conservation sector, running a community advice line, bringing together legal and scientific experts, and training the next generation of environmental lawyers.
- We create real impact with every dollar by using the law to protect the environment and stand up for our communities.
EDO Qld is the legal voice for Queensland’s unique natural habitats, ecosystems, and communities throughout the state, but we rely on supporters like you to make it happen.