Know where the parties stand this election on protecting our environment, good governance and climate change.
This 2017 Queensland election, EDO Qld drew on our experience and called on all political parties to back 7 key reforms to Qld environmental laws.
We have been working hard to highlight some of those key reforms needed to benefit all Australians:
- See the positions of the parties on donations and corruption: Our event ‘Donations and other Dangers to Democracy’ was a great success. People travelled from far afield to attend and discuss conflicts of interest in decision making and increasing transparency and accountability of our politicians and government.
- See the positions of the parties on land clearing: It is essential that our next government takes strong action to reduce the excessive rate of land clearing in Queensland, for a safe climate, our wildlife and our Reef. We need serious action taken to strengthen our laws regulating clearing urgently.
- See the positions of the parties on climate policy and renewable energy: Queensland needs strong leadership to introduce commitments to reduce the risk of dangerous climate change through legislated emissions and renewable energy targets to end expansion of fossil fuel extraction and to guide a fast, fair transition to clean energy. These targets must be integrated into decision making across government.
Check out the responses we have received from parties so far:
- The ALP response
- The Greens response
- No detailed comprehensive responses from the LNP, One Nation and the Katter Party.
We encourage you to talk to your friends and family about what matters most to you as the state decides who will be the next government for Qld, and of course… don’t forget to vote!
EDO Qld reform requests
- Citizen Rights - Strengthen community rights to information, objection, appeal and enforcement, especially for coal seam gas, mining and planning. Preserve “own costs” rules in the Planning and Environment Court.
- Fair Democratic Processes - Ban developer and corporate political donations. Strengthen and restore powers to the State Environment Department.
- Great Barrier Reef and Nature - Strengthen laws against unsustainable development, water pollution and carbon pollution. Protect pristine rivers, national parks, and wildlife. Expand “no go” areas for mining and gas.
- Safe Climate and Clean Energy - Transition Qld's economy away from fossil fuel extraction or burning, towards renewable energy and sustainable jobs.
- Excessive Tree Clearing - Protect our trees, wildlife and Reef by introducing strong legal protections against excessive tree clearing. Reform ineffective “offset” laws.
- Clean Up Queensland - Audit legal compliance of coal and gas projects. Protect groundwater and clean air. Introduce waste disposal levy. Ban environmental offenders from holding environmental licences.
- Access to Justice - Ensure EDO Qld can continue to provide communities with the legal assistance they need to protect their environment by increased government funding to EDO Qld.